Sunday, July 27, 2008

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Anyone else love the nonsensicalness of Beck? What the heck is he talking about most of the time? I don't know, but I love it. I do get the whole chimp, monkey reference. I've got some anthropology degrees, had to learn all the scientific names and differences of those little buggers past and present. Chimps are a whole lot brighter than monkeys. For better or worse, chimps and humans share some interesting social and emotional qualities.


But the Beck reference, that's about being one step behind, and I understand that. I'm thinking specifically of my inability to show off stuff that I've made. In my head, I'm jumping around, waving my arms. But in reality, nope. What is that? Fear of rejection, right? I had a new friend come for a quick visit. She was hemming this great dress that she had made with piping and bias sleeve binding. Very nice! And instead of hauling her up to my studio and showing her my stuff, I demurely said "Yes, I sew a bit." Why didn't I scream "I LOVE to sew! I LOVE my sewing machine, come LOOK at all my goodies!" For some reason, it's harder to do that in person than it is online.

It's hard to let people in to see my creations. I've never had any artistic training, and very little sewing training for that matter. I took one sewing class while I was in college and the rest I taught myself through books and trial and error. I don't regret not having the art classes, but I wonder if art classes help one learn how to get the ideas out of one's head and into a medium. For example, that is a collage bit I have been working on for some time. It was fun painting and layering the background, but it's not easy visualizing where to go next. Quilting is a little bit easier for me. I don't mind trying things out and giving up on what doesn't work. Like for this little one for my July Triangle Mini Quilt swap:


This little quilt was so much fun to make. I originally had another layer of oranges in between the triangles, but it didn't work, so rip, rip, rip. Away it went. I hope the recipient enjoys it as much as I did. Happy Sunday night. Big bad Monday is right around the corner!



4 comments:

jacquie said...

it's darling Rae. i know what you mean about putting yourself out there. i'm self taught too and sometimes that messes with my confidence...i think...i don't really know what i'm doing...people will surely know!

rachelmp said...

Very cute block Rae!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your mini quilt! The colors and the happy design.
I think not having a formal art background can be very freeing. I don't feel hemmed in by what should be or has been before ~ I just play and go for it. But taking people into my sewing space is difficult. I've tried before and if it's not the right person, it falls flat and they just don't get it... Plus my sewing cave is always a bit of a mess.
Meeting like minds on flickr has been wonderful ~ such nice people that are on the same wavelength.

Rachel Ellington said...

Thanks for your supportive comments! It's good to know there are lots of us self taught types out there, doing our thing!